Baby, it’s cold outside! The weather outside is frightful, but the warmth of these winter gear is delightful. Let it snow! Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean you can’t have fun outside with your kids. We have all the tips for keeping your baby nice and toasty in the great outdoors.
Outdoor Winter Gear for Babies & Kids
- Layer, layer, layer! Having multiple layers not only allows for changing weather and activity, but each serves a specific purpose. The base layer should provide moisture wicking to keep skin dry, and wool is an excellent material for that purpose. Your middle layer is for insulation and providing extra warmth and a cozy fleece will do the trick! Your outer layer protects you from the elements - wind, rain, snow, and you'll find lots of good suggestions below.
- Find a good quality snowsuit. Try this Columbia Snuggle Bunny Bunting Hooded Suit – it’s warm, lined with 60/40 duck down (for 100% chance of staying warm), and has fold over cuffs to keep the heat locked in. It’s also got a microfleece lining, making it super soft.
- Keep moving! Work up a sweat laughing, playing and enjoying your time together outside. When you’re having fun, you won’t even notice the cold.
- Three little kittens might have lost their mittens, but you can find the best ones for your baby right here. If you decide not to go the snowsuit route and prefer a jacket and separate snow pants, make sure you don’t forget the mittens (or lose them, like the kittens!) Here are some really sweet ones by North Face. They are incredibly soft, have grippy tabs that make them easy to put on and take off and they have nylon over the knuckles and fingers to make them more durable.
- Warm up before you go outside with a hot beverage or a warm and toasty cereal so you can warm your way from the inside out.
- You can leave your hat on – in fact, you probably should! After all, it’s winter. People lose so much heat through their heads, putting a hat on is a must. There are so many great hats to choose from to make sure your baby is stylish and comfortable. Whether you choose a knit beanie, a crocheted toque or a shearling fur hat, you can be sure your child’s crown of curls will be safe from the elements.
- Ask Siri! Check out the weather forecast before you go outside so you know what conditions you need to be prepared for.
- These boots are made for walking – and sledding, and building snowmen. Check out our boot buying guide to find the best choice for your little person’s feet. We’ve shared our best picks for protecting clothes, staying warm, avoiding slips, being ecofriendly, encouraging independence and for babies in carriers.
- Take lots of pictures! These will warm your heart down the road when they are all grown up. Say cheese!
- Change can be good! These reversible sets give you twice style options for double the fun. A full snowsuit can be great for locking the heat in, but separates can make changing diapers a breeze – even if the wind is blowing. They even have special cuffs to help you extend the wear over more than one season.
- Who doesn’t love toasty toes? Don’t forget wool socks! Wool can absorb as much as 30% of its weight in moisture and still stay dry. It's also naturally fire and chemical resistant without any harmful additives. These aren’t boring like the wool socks you remember; these are as bright as your love of the season. Try these baby socks on for size!
It’s cold outside, but with a little planning, you could be the coolest mom on the block (with the hottest gear to stay warm!) 'Tis the season for playing outside so bundle up and get out there!
These boots are made for walking - and crawling, playing in the snow, and whatever other mischief your kids get into outside. With so many great options on the market, it can be hard to pick just one, so we've put together this buying guide to help you pick the best winter boots for kids. [...]
As a local community baby store, we are very passionate about bringing in well made local products that serve the community and local economy better.We particularly love local products that were madewith the environment in mind, as well as designed to fit Canadian parents' lifestyle. In most cases, successful local brands were created by parents who [...]
New arrival: Yumbox!!Just in time for back to school, Yumbox is finally here. Yumbox is a kid-friendly, bento-style lunch container that is the key to packing a perfect lunch. Yumbox features a child friendly latch for easy opening made for little fingers. A molded silicone lid makes the Yumbox completely leakprooof inside and out. This means you don’t [...]
New Arrival: Mushy Books We couldn’t be happier to be stocking Mushy Books, if you haven’t already heard about the best baby book on the market, keep reading! Coming from Maple Ridge, their books are printed in Vancouver, BC Canada and hand-assembled with so much love by Lesley and her team. Made with busy mums in [...]
Having a baby entails a lot of choice when it comes to buying a stroller. However, two of the main strollers that are popular with today’s parents are the Bugaboo Cameleon and the UPPAbaby Vista. While two of the most versatile and nicest strollers on the market, they still offer parents with a number of different features [...]
Welcome to our blog here at Active Baby. We will be sharing posts on new arrivals, brands we love, local products, staff favourites, giveaways, sales, tips & tricks, and everything in between. Although we will be posting on here regularly, be sure to follow along with all our social media so you don't miss out [...]
Strollers come in many different shapes, designs and colors to choose from. One brand, Bugaboo offers great stroller options that will last for years. Some of the popular strollers in this brand is the Bugaboo Bee 3 and the Bee Plus. The problem is how do you know which one is the best option for your [...]
Being a parent is one of the best things in the world. Buying all your baby care items and accessories should be on the short list when falling pregnant. After you have purchased your Bugaboo Cameleon stroller it’s important to know when you can move your newborn from the bassinet to the seat without causing harm [...]
In today’s world there are many different stroller options for parents to buy when their new buddle of joy comes into their life. Two of the major brands in the world that are popular today is Bugaboo and UppaBaby. Both these stroller brands provide great stroller options including the Bugaboo Buffalo and the UppaBaby Vista. [...]