When you go to buy a stroller—especially if it’s your first time—you may be under the impression that you can go into the store, find a colour you like at a reasonable price, and be done with it. Once you see the number of models and options available to you, however, you quickly realize that it will be more involved than you had initially thought.
There are a few things to consider when choosing your perfect stroller. Some may be obvious; some may be things that you haven’t thought about. To help you in your search, here are a few ideas to keep in mind and questions to ask yourself:
- What is your budget?
- Who will be using the stroller the most?
- Where will you be using it?
- Will it fit in the trunk of your car?
- How much weight will you be able to manage?
- Will you be using it in all kinds of weather?
- Do you need it to have a one-hand fold?
- How long will you be using it?
- Do you need any special features? (storage, cup holder, etc)?
- Do you need a car seat stroller combo?
Types of Stroller
You might be thinking that a stroller is a stroller, with nothing more to worry about, but you will find that there are several kinds, each with pros and cons, depending on your needs. Here are the basic types.
- Standard Strollers are larger and sturdier, which makes them heavier and occasionally more difficult to manoeuver. They typically have the most storage space, and often come with a sunshade. Many of them come with a variety of extra features that you may find desirable.
- Umbrella Strollers are lightweight strollers that are great for travel. Often about 15 lbs or less, they have an easy push and are generally manoeuvrable, but tend to have less padding and fewer of the extra features that you might find with other models. Most are made for kids aged at least 6 months, though some have car seat adapters.
- Jogging Strollers are built for those who are on the move. With three sturdy tires (only one in front) they provide a smooth push for you, and a comfortable ride for your little one. While they have good storage and are car seat compatible, they are also bulkier and less agile than some other types, meaning that while they are great for a run in the park, you may have difficulty navigating busy streets or doing your shopping.
- Double Strollers are for those of you who are bringing two little ones with you on the go. There are two options here: a tandem stroller which seats the children one in front of the other or a side-by-side stroller.
- Car Seat Carriers, as the name implies, carry your child’s car seat. They are usually just a frame to hold the seat. The main drawback to their use is that most of them will only work with infant car seats, and thus they will be outgrown quickly.
- Travel System strollers are available as standard or jogging stroller and are made to carry an infant car seat. They can be purchased with the car seat or an adapter.
Considerations Before Purchasing
Before committing yourself to a specific stroller, think about your stroller precise needs. Will you need the stroller to run errands or will you use it more when you go for a jog? Will you be using it in a crowded mall or on an open trail?
If you will be transporting your child by car on a regular basis, is your stroller lightweight enough to lift in and out of your trunk repeatedly? Will it even fit?
Finding the right match for your needs will be more than simply grabbing whatever model is on sale. The good news, however, is that no matter what your needs may be, there will be a stroller that is a perfect fit for you. Just be sure to take the time to find it.
Active Baby is your top Canadian Online Baby Store with store locations in Langley and North Vancouver.
The brands we love: Bugaboo, Uppababy, Clek, Diono, Babybjorn, Baby Jogger, Beaba, Thule, ERGObaby, Mountain Buggy, Peg Perego, Maxi Cosi, Chicco, 4moms, SkipHop, Vonbon, Little & Lively, Minimoc, North Face, Sorel, Stonz, Mymayu, Bogs, Yumbox, and more.